The bakery measures its impact in social and economic terms. The table below summarises the growth in the business in the last 6 years of trading, highlights include:
- A huge growth in sales with rapidly expanding wholesale & events
- Increase from 6 employees to 20, all paid above minimum wage, on fixed hour contracts with free lunches and other support
- 80% of our staff live within walking distance of the bakery
- Use of local supply chain for purchases means £170k spent with other businesses in our area (our butcher in Walton took on a new employee to support our business)
- Homebaked bakery contributes £400k directly to our local economy
- The bakery is a partner of LFC, LFC Foundation and Red Neighbours.
- Homebaked Pies will be sold in partnership with Liverpool Homeless Football Club at Goodison from next season.
The social impact of the bakery is wide ranging and includes impacts that can be easily measured and impacts that are much harder to quantify. A selection includes:
- Twenty active volunteers from a broad range of backgrounds and skills
- Two hundred members of the cooperative actively supporting the bakery
- Fresh bread baked daily & subsidised to supermarket prices
- Providing an affordable good quality, locally sourced food offer in a local food desert
- A warm welcoming space for the local community to gather
- Free evening rental to community groups such as the local churches, poetry groups & book clubs
- Free More Than a Loaf baking courses for local residents & community groups
- Partnerships with Liverpool Homeless Football club, local schools & local churches
- A non-alcohol quality food offer on match days popular with pensioners, women, away supporter & disabled people
- A partnership with Fans Supporting Foodbanks to support their collections
- Provided the inspiration & support for multiple new businesses in our community & the wider city region including Kitty’s Launderette and Homegrown Collective
- Open 6 days a week in an area with many facilities only opening on match days
- Restored a sense of pride in the community
First Ark have calculated that for every £1 spent in our bakery the Social Return on Investment is £20.37, this is a sector leading return on investment.